Close X

J. Benjamin Stevens is now part of Offit Kurman.

Read More

Looking for Jenny Stevens?

Please visit her website using the button below.

View Website


Can You Enforce Child Support Out of State?

Posted by J. Benjamin Stevens | Aug 19, 2015 | 0 Comments

Given the already complicated nature of child custody cases and child support orders, many parents worry that a move out of state could prevent them from collecting child support from a noncustodial parent. Is this legitimate concern?

Can you enforce child support out of state?

The short answer is absolutely yes. Though this may not always be easy (sometimes you'll have to spend time locating the payor), laws have been written to make sure that simply relocating will not excuse a parent from his or her child support obligations.

Child support orders have the full force of law when signed by a judge, and they can thus be enforced wherever the noncustodial parent goes thanks to the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. Every state in the country has passed some version of this law, which ensures that child support orders from one state can be enforced against a parent that lives in another state.

How to enforce an order in another state

The law often requires the parent to hire an attorney or contact his or her local child support office. The other parent must first be located, and either the child support office or your attorney can then petition the court in the other state to enforce your child support award.

These out-of-state courts will act as if the child support order was issued from an in-state judge. The judge will then have several options to assist in enforcing the child support order, including garnishing wages, seizing property, suspending business or professional licenses, or even revoking a driver's license.

Our Office Can Help With Interstate Child Support Issues

If you are dealing with multi-state child support issues, you are welcome to contact our office by phone (864) 598-9172, email [email protected], or our online form. Our experienced family law attorneys can discuss the options available to you depending on the facts of your specific case.

About the Author

J. Benjamin Stevens

Senior Partner


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.


Subscribe to our Newsletter!

second newsletter sign up

CLICK HERE to subscribe to our new monthly newsletter full of interesting news, stories, and advice to benefit you and your family.