Close X

J. Benjamin Stevens is now part of Offit Kurman.

Read More

Looking for Jenny Stevens?

Please visit her website using the button below.

View Website


Can I be excused from the child support debt I accumulated while I was out of work temporarily?

Posted by J. Benjamin Stevens | Jun 08, 2006 | 0 Comments

Judges in most states are prohibited by law from retroactively modifying a child support obligation. This means if a person becomes unable to pay support, he or she may petition the court for a reduction, but, even if the court reduces future payments, it will most likely hold the parent liable for the full amount of support owed at the time. For this reason, if a parent with a child support obligation starts falling behind because the parent's income has decreased or debts have increased, the parent should immediately seek a temporary modification.
For example, let's say Joe has a child support obligation of $300 per month. Joe is laid off of his job, and six months pass before he finds another one with comparable pay. Although Joe could have sought a temporary decrease on the grounds of diminished income, he lets the matter slide and fails to pay any support during the six-month period. Joe's ex-wife later brings Joe into court to collect the $1,800 arrearage. Joe cannot obtain a retroactive ruling excusing him from making the earlier payments.

Copyright 2005 Nolo

About the Author

J. Benjamin Stevens

Senior Partner


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.


Subscribe to our Newsletter!

second newsletter sign up

CLICK HERE to subscribe to our new monthly newsletter full of interesting news, stories, and advice to benefit you and your family.