Close X

J. Benjamin Stevens is now part of Offit Kurman.

Read More

Looking for Jenny Stevens?

Please visit her website using the button below.

View Website


How to Counteract Parental Alienation

Posted by J. Benjamin Stevens | Dec 15, 2014 | 0 Comments

If you are a victim of parental alienation, there are steps that you can take to protect your child, yourself, and your rights. One of the first things you should do is to consult anexperienced child custody attorney to discuss your situation. Experts suggest the following ways to counteract parental alienation:

  • Try to control your anger. Stay calm and in control of your own behavior
  • Keep a log of events as they happen, describing in detail what happened and when
  • Always attempt to pick up your child as scheduled, even when you know the child won't be show up
  • During time spent with your child, focus on positive activities and the good times you have together
  • Never discuss the court case with your child
  • Improve your parenting skills by taking parenting courses, reading parenting books, etc. to be the best possible parent to your child
  • If possible, get counseling for your child, preferably with a therapist trained to recognize and treat parental alienation syndrome and/or go to counseling yourself to learn how to react to and counteract the problem
  • Don't do anything to violate any court orders or otherwise be an undesirable parent
  • Don't react to the alienating behavior by engaging in alienating behavior toward the other parent
  • Pursue a contempt action if you are not receiving your court-ordered time with your child

If you do nothing and allow the other parent to continue the alienating behavior, things will not get better, and they will likely get much worse for both you and your child. Remember, Albert Einstein once said “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Our firm has handled many cases involving parental alienation over the years, and we understand these issues and the best methods to combat them and protect your interests. You are welcome to contact our office at (864) 598-9172 or click here to request a consultation.

Source: “Parental Alienation Syndrome” published at

About the Author

J. Benjamin Stevens

Senior Partner


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.


Subscribe to our Newsletter!

second newsletter sign up

CLICK HERE to subscribe to our new monthly newsletter full of interesting news, stories, and advice to benefit you and your family.