Close X

J. Benjamin Stevens is now part of Offit Kurman.

Read More

Looking for Jenny Stevens?

Please visit her website using the button below.

View Website


Visitation When Your Former Spouse Has A Live-In Girlfriend

Posted by J. Benjamin Stevens | Jan 02, 2008 | 0 Comments

Question:  I have been divorced for several years.  My Divorce Decree states that neither party can have the persons of the opposite sex spend the night when the children are present.  My ex-husband now wants to move in with his girlfriend.  If he moves in with her, do I still have to send my children for visitation or can I withhold visitation until they get married?

Answer:  The old adage "two wrongs don't make a right" comes to mind.  If his girlfriend is there overnight when the children are there, he clearly is violating the Order and subject to being held in contempt of court.  However, if you refuse to send the kids and deny his visitation, you would be violating the Order as well and could possibly subject yourself to being held in contempt.  Your best course of action is to remind him about the prohibition on having overnight guests of the opposite sex and to immediately file a contempt action if he violates the Order.

About the Author

J. Benjamin Stevens

Senior Partner


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Comments have been disabled.


Subscribe to our Newsletter!

second newsletter sign up

CLICK HERE to subscribe to our new monthly newsletter full of interesting news, stories, and advice to benefit you and your family.