Contrary to popular belief, divorce lawyers are not pro-divorce. In fact, I said several years ago in an interview that I see divorce lawyers as a “necessary evil” in today's world. Most family law attorneys will tell you that seeing clients reconcile their marriages is one of the happier parts of our jobs.
Dave Willis , founder of StrongerMarriages.org, notes that in the early stages of a relationship, most people strive to bring a smile to each other's faces. He believes that making smiles a priority can help strengthen your marriage and make your life a lot happier. He suggests the following ways to make your spouse smile:
- Smile (Seriously, when you smile, it's going to be much easier to make them smile).
- Turn the TV on mute and make up your own dialogue for what you think the characters are saying.
- Speak to each other in a fake, foreign accent in public and see if anyone notices.
- Write each other love notes and leave them hidden around the house.
- Plan a surprise date and “kidnap” your spouse to take them there.
- Dig out the childhood photo albums and spend a night looking through them.
- Get with some couple friends (the fun ones, not the dramatic ones).